Followers

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The joy of the holiday spirit


This is the time of the season that I put all my political arguments aside and the main reason I refrain from posting on our local newspapers online forum. I still remember the “ceasefire” we had during the Vietnam era. It's the time to be with good friends and family and to be grateful that we live in a country of free speech,diversity and different opinions.  I know it’s just my self -imposed rules but I'm still amazed that on December 24th and 25th, posters are still arguing about the same old things that divide us. I think a “ceasefire” forces us to reflect inward, so that we might be more receptive to ideas others might have.

I'm taking my wife out to eat and to see a movie tonight, now and that's something we haven't done in ages.  The children tell me that it's $8.75 a ticket and a small popcorn will cost me $4.50. Well, she deserves it for putting up with me.  Later this week, we're finally going take that 28 mile trip to see the Christmas lights in Cuero,Texas. Every year, we say we're going but something comes up. We would've done it by now if we still had small children. Our grandchildren are all grown up and our four legged children are not interested in giving up their naps, just to see some lights.  Sometime Sunday, the family will get together and make that sad but necessary trip to the cemetery to visit our lost loved ones.  I take a new small United States flag to replace the old one on my stepfather's grave and we will continue the ritual of giving my mother “poinsettias” for Christmas. Due to the cemetery's rules; the poinsettias  have to be artificial.

To all the readers of this blog, may you , your family and loved ones have a joyous holiday and a very Happy New Year.

No comments: