Followers

Total Pageviews

Monday, May 14, 2012

Local Election Apathy

voter apathy cartoons, voter apathy cartoon, voter apathy picture, voter apathy pictures, voter apathy image, voter apathy images, voter apathy illustration, voter apathy illustrations

I have to admit it took a lot of inner persuasion for me to go vote this past Saturday. The amendments were not earth shaking as I read them. I did not vote for David Hagen, so I was in and out in less than 10 minutes. I was really surprised that only 10% of the registered voters showed up to cast their vote. Just goes to show, that all that whining and complaining on VicAd did not transcend into votes. And no matter how you slice and dice it, the water sewage plant was not a big issue for those on the south side because Denise Rangel barely lost and not that many voters showed up to vote against her.

I did vote for the bond because I can see the growth around Victoria, so I thought that this bond will allow us to continue training our existing workers and those of the future. It solidifies our commitment. Then again, I can't remember ever voting against a bond. I voted for the two new schools to be built a few years ago and this is just a continuance of my line of thinking that doesn't fit neatly on a spreadsheet. I still think new businesses will view our city more favorably since we have a strong commitment to educational facilities.

I looked at those amendments and didn't buy into all the conspiracy points that were made but I do admit, the language that was used 50 years ago was pretty ambiguous and needed to be brought up to standard. I would bet my bottom dollar that it was the old timers who did not want the teenagers running for public office. I'm not going to tell you how I voted on that amendment...:-)

I was never that excited by this local election ,so I didn’t have an “election hangover.”I'm glad the local elections are over but I never believed in "biting the hair of the dog that bit you" remedy, so this post is the last I'll do on this subject. I’m eagerly awaiting the upcoming congressional elections and of course the Super Bowl of all the elections; the presidential in November.

I like to be surprised and Councilman Paul Polasek sure did that. I'm not sure of his motives; perhaps it was an attempt to stop all the rumor mongering before the new session takes place. It's about time someone from the city voiced their opinion with some credibility. I have to admit that I don't know a thing about Mr. Polasek but I hope he keeps posting, so we can see both sides of the issue. I don’t know about you but I can’t make up my mind when only one side of the issue is presented.. I hope the questions and answers will continue to be as civil as they have been because nothing will turn off an elected official more than trying to engage with an uninformed poster who is just trying to bring attention to himself.

No comments: