Saturday, January 12, 2013
Get your act together
I'm tired of hearing what the GOP needs to do in order to start winning national elections again. I can't get away from it; all the cable channels are talking about it and the Sunday talk shows spend a lot of their time discussing the subject. You would think that would give the local yokels a hint. Instead, they double down and use the most extreme elements in their party to make their case.
A good example of a letter filled with misinformation was printed in today’s letter to the editor that you can see right here. Mr. Allen J. Novosad of Edna is a local right winger who thinks he represents mainstream America. He titled his letter “Irrational voting has put country in trouble” which is based in the truth, but he should have pointed out that the Tea Party was the culprit.
The writer wants the readers to believe that of the 126 million people who voted, the 65 million people who voted for President Obama were wrong. You see there were voting for Obama because they were ill informed Democrats who wanted free stuff, and had other personal reasons that had nothing to do with the betterment of our country because everyone should know that the GOP are the rightful heirs to that distinction. Oh wait, the voters didn't think so in 2006,2008 and 2012.
Mr. Novosad evidently thinks that voters have been schooled by the politicians and cannot think for themselves. I can remember way back in 1974, looking through the Victoria Advocate Sunday Classifieds and noticing that almost all companies were offering health care benefits. The company I was working for the time offered healthcare benefits. Today, you'll find companies bragging that they will lay off employees before paying for their health Insurance. One national pizza chain owner said he would have to raise the price of his (nasty) pizza 15¢ if he had to provide insurance for his employees. That same pizza owner will probably pay millions of dollars for a 3o second Super Bowl ad. You see Mr. Novosad, back in the seventies tax rates were in the 70% range, so companies reinvested in their employees, and made worthwhile contributions to their community rather than writing out a check to the government. Wealth distribution in those days was not equated with socialism, and it kept income inequality in check. A person like you, Allen Novosad, never wonders why the stock market is doing so well, Fortune 500 companies have two trillion dollars in reserve and several are making record profits but benefits to employees are being cut, and their wages have been stagnant for years.
The right wing has been predicting inflation since January 20, 2009. The writer throws everything into his talking points stew, such as abortion, the rising cost of health insurance, regulations, the Federal Reserve and several other things that are beyond the scope of checks and balances. It’s as if, the GOP controlled House of Representatives(HR) doesn't have a role to play as the opposition party. The HR makes the tax policies( House Ways & Means) and appropriates the money our government can spend. When did public schools stop teaching civics?
Fox News should send their pundits. to a basic economics' class. Recently there's been a rumor that the treasury might mint a $1 trillion coin send it over to the Fed where they would credit it back to the Treasury in order to avoid the world financial problems that would come by not raising the debt limit. This artificial notation at the Fed would not put any new money into circulation; it's merely a trick to avert another trick where the GOP would hold raising the debt limit hostage to more spending cuts. Fox’s financial guru, Neil Cavuto, said the coin would have to weigh tons. No, it doesn’t, in that hypothetical, the platinum coin would not be backed up by the value of platinum. It's an accounting trick, so we don't have a party jeopardizing the world economy. Conservatives haven't figured out that money is nothing more than a shared illusion, when it comes the governments.
Perhaps you can take some friendly advice GOP. First, put your first string out there to deliver your message, people like Chris Christie and Jeb Bush instead of the bozos who are hijacking your once great party. According to the latest polls 47% of people identify with the Democrats and 42% with the Republicans, and if you stand a chance of getting any part of the 11% on a more regular basis;your principle should remain, but you need to modify your policies to the times and completely change your rhetoric. Right now, you are doubling down on stupidity like you did when the party denounced the words of Todd Akin, yet the RNC funded his campaign after saying they wouldn’t. Then out of the blue, GOP Rep. Phil Gingrey of Georgia said that Todd Akin was partly right because” I've delivered lots of babies, and I know about these things. It is true. We tell infertile couples all the time that are having trouble conceiving because of the woman not ovulating, "Just relax. Drink a glass of wine. And don't be so tense and uptight because all that adrenaline can cause you not to ovulate." So he was partially right wasn’t he? But the fact that a woman may have already ovulated 12 hours before she is raped, you’re not going to prevent a pregnancy there by a woman's body shutting anything down because the horse has already left the barn, so to speak. And yet the media took that and tore it apart.” I doubt the party leaders will publicly denounce his fund raising words, but they keep the flames of stupidity going. Finally, you need to see someone for your Obama derangement syndrome because being against everything the president wants to do without a plan of your own further discredits your purpose in governing.